You’ve probably used it to keep your fridge smelling fresh, but did you know that the baking soda in your cupboard has many medicinal uses also?
Other names: Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3)
Here are some ‘outside-the-box’ ways to use baking soda:
- Ergogenic Aid – At specific doses, baking soda can be used to enhance both short and long term high-intensity athletic performance , .
- Has been shown to enhance B12 absorption when your pancreas isn’t making enough enzymes . Experts don’t yet fully understand how this works, but it may have to do with its ability to regulate pH to levels that are ideal for absorption. Theoretically, this concept can apply to the enhanced absorption of other nutrients as well.
- In a 5-year study of subjects with early-stage kidney disease caused by high blood pressure, a regimen of baking soda taken with blood pressure medications (ACE Inhibitors) was shown to be an effective combination in slowing down kidney damage .
- A 1965 case study published in the New England Journal of Medicine revealed that IV administration of baking soda effectively reversed an acute asthma attack by relaxing the subject’s bronchial tubes, returning him to consciousness, and raising his blood pH within a 45 minute period with no recurrences over his subsequent 9-day hospital stay. His cyanosis (blue/ purple extremities due to lack of oxygen) also disappeared !
- A study of six women ages 38-62 showed that a small amount of baking soda helped prevent increased urinary calcium loss associated with high levels of protein intake . This could have important implications given Americans’ high-acid/ high- animal protein intake coupled and high incidence of osteoporosis.
Anecdotal evidence suggests that baking soda may…
- Help relieve ulcer pain. Baking soda is a buffer, helping shift acidic pH levels to more alkaline, thereby calming an overly acidic stomach. Try 1-2tsp in an 8oz. glass of room temperature water.
- Help prevent or quicken recovery time for colds and flu .
Try Arm & Hammer’s Recommended dosages from 1925:
Day 1: Six doses of ½ tsp each in glass of cool water in two our intervals.
Day 2: Four doses of ½ tsp each in glass of cool water in two our intervals.
Day 3: Two doses of ½ tsp each in glass of cool water in the morning and evening.
Day 4+: One dose doses of ½ tsp each in glass of cool water in the morning until cold is gone.
All written contents are copyright 2014 by Vivian Kanchian, 20FourCarrots Lifestyle. [https://20fourcarrots.wordpress.com/], [https://twitter.com/VivianKanchian], [https://www.facebook.com/20fourcarrots], Certified Alternative Nutrition Expert. No reuse or re-publication without permission. Please note that the information provided on this site is intended for informational purposes only. Nothing contained herein is intended to treat, diagnose, prevent, or cure any illness or medical condition. Consult a doctor before beginning any diet or exercise regimen or before taking vitamins or supplements. Statements on this site have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.